Welcome to Batman: Gotham Knights Online, your number #1 resource for all things Batman. Every week, keep up to date with all the current news surrounding the comic books, media, merchandise and listen to our weekly podcast, where we have exclusive interviews with people from the industry and a look at all things Batman past, present and future...

GKO: MADHOUSE

Here you will find our rambalings on all area's of Batman, interviews and speical features!

JL: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS REVIEW

We review Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

BATMAN OF ZUR-EN-ARRH

We take a look at the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh from Batman #113.

GREG RUCKA INTERVIEW

Gotham Knights Online - Interview with Greg Rucka.

BTS: MUSIC MEISTER

A behind the scenens look at The Music Meister.

REVIEW: SB: PE

We review Superman / Batman: Public Enemies.

J.H. WILLIAMS III INTERVIEW

Gotham Knights Online - Interview with J.H. Wiilams III

REVIEW - BATMAN: AA

We review the most eagarly anticipated game this year!

BATMAN CRIME JAZZ

Composers talk crime jazz for Batman

SCOTT SNYDER TALKS DETECTIVE COMICS

Posted by Unknown Wednesday 14 July 2010

With the news that Vertigo writer Scott Snyder will be taking over as writer for Detective Comics this November - other comic news site have taken the opportunity to interview Scott on his up coming writing duties.


Newsarama: Was it American Vampire that got the attention of DC?

Scott Snyder: Yeah, they read a few issues ahead and liked where it was ending up. I showed them the plans for the rest of it, and the response has been good.

They started talking to me in Chicago C2E2 about being exclusive. I met with Dan [DiDio] and Geoff [Johns] in Chicago. They approached me about how much they had liked Vampire, and they asked me if I was interested in doing anything at DC. Of course, I was over the moon.

We started talking about possibilities, and I was always gunning for something in Gotham. And they were really, really receptive. They made a little room for me in Gotham for a story on Commissioner Gordon, but then they asked if I would be interested in the Detective Comics run, both the back and the front.

Of course I said yes. It's my dream job.

Nrama: Since your roots are in horror, is your Detective Comics story darker?

Snyder: I grew up on Detective being a hard-core Batman mystery book, and I love that stuff. Cycle 2 of American Vampire is a big murder mystery in Las Vegas. So it's something I enjoy doing.

I've loved what they've been doing on Detective with Batwoman was excited to bring Batman back in a big way, really focus on the CSI side of it, focus on the modern tech, focus on mysteries around Gotham, and really develop an emotional through-line with his relationship with Gotham City and his relationship with Commissioner Gordon as things are rapidly changing.

I've always been a big Grant Morrison fan, but the last few years, reading what he's done with the character, his ideas are so epic. He has such a sense of Batman as this mythological and totemic character, and everything that ties into that has made me think a lot about certain themes I want to play with.

The whole run will have a big design behind it. It won't be just random mysteries. It's going to have an emotional through-line for Batman about things he's really coming to terms with.

The back-up will feature Commissioner Gordon. The whole thing will be entirely about him. The back-up and the feature will take place simultaneously. They'll stand alone, but they will really inform each other and influence each other. So i'm trying to shoot pretty high. I don't know if I've bitten off more than I can chew, but Im really having a lot of fun with it.

In the main comic I'm designing a story that's really emotional and is plot-driven for Batman, and then I'm cutting over in the co-feature to deal with a kind of "behind-the-scenes" mystery. Someone from Commissioner Gordon's past, who's extremely important to him and haunting to him, comes back to cause trouble and stir up all these old feelings for him in Gotham.

For the full interview click here...

CBR also had an exclusive:

CBR News: Scott, congratulations on the "Detective Comics" gig and on going DC exclusive. I always get the feeling that when some writers come to DC, they don't just have a story they want to tell but they've specifically got a Batman story they really want to tell. What's your history like with the character before landing this job?

Scott Snyder: The first thing I pitched to Dan [Didio] and Geoff [Johns] at a meeting in Chicago [during the C2E2 convention] was Batman material. For me, Batman is totally seminal to my comics fandom. If there's a crown jewel for me to work on at DC that seems like a perfect fit, it really would be something in the Bat-Universe. Those stories were touchstones for me growing up from the obvious ones like "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Year One" – which I still read all the time – to ones later on like "The Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" or Brubaker's run on "Detective" and "The Man Who Laughs." All that stuff. For me, those things all throughout my writing career were big inspirations. As much as probably when I was a kid Spider-Man was my favorite, as an adult Batman was the one superhero I read religiously even when I was broke or away from anywhere that I had a comic shop. I would still go after Batman stuff because I feel like it was always the most psychologically rich because his Rogue's Gallery was always so good.

I don't know how to explain how honored and thrilled I am to be doing this. When they asked me if I wanted to do this one...a run on "Detective Comics"? It was like being asked to play in the All-Star Game or something. [Laughs] Not to compare Vertigo in any way to something less than the major leagues, but it just feels like you're asked to QB The Super Bowl out of nowhere with this. It's definitely been a zero to sixty experience, but with Batman there's nowhere I would rather be. It fits my sensibilities well. I'll tell you the truth, I did fish around and was talking to Geoff and Dan about some other characters – some of the darker characters – but the elephant in the room was always that all of them had elements of the shadowier aspects of Gotham in them. I've never wanted to live anywhere more than Gotham in the comics world. I'm working 110% to earn my keep right here.

For the full interview click here...

LISTEN TO THIS WEEKS PODCAST ONLINE COVERING NEWS, REVIEWS AND INTERVIEWS WITH GUESTS FROM ALL BATMAN INDUSTRIES!



GKO: PODCAST #43

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. 4th to 17th Oct, including Batman: Knightfall Pt11.
23-10-10

GKO: PODCAST #42

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. 20th Sept to 3rd Oct, including Batman: Knightfall Pt10.
09-10-10

GKO: PODCAST #41

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. 13th to Sept 20th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt9.
14-09-10

GKO: PODCAST #40

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 30th to Sept 12th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt8.
14-09-10

GKO: PODCAST #39

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 23rd to Aug 29th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt7.
31-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #38

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 9th to Aug 22nd, including Batman: Knightfall Pt6.
24-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #37

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 2nd to Aug 8th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt5.
03-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #36

This week we have a new host and review Batman: Under the Red Hood along with all the news from the week.
03-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #35

This is our SDCC '10 coverage special covering all the news from July 19th to July 25th.
26-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #34

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. July 12th to July 18th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt2.
19-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #33

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. July 5th to July 11th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt1.
12-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #32

This week we interview writer Judd Winick about the Red Hood.
05-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #31

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. June 14th to June 20th.
21-06-10

GKO: PODCAST #30

This week we cover the amazing release of Batman #700. June 7th to June 13th.
14-06-10

GKO: PODCAST #29

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. May 31st to June 6th.
7-06-10

GKO: PODCAST #28

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. May 24th to May 30th.
31-05-10

GKO: PODCAST #27

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. May 10th to May 23rd.
24-05-10

GKO: PODCAST #26

We return for a quick April round table episode.
10-05-10

GKO: PODCAST #25

This week is our 25th Anniversary episode including a new co-host.
21-03-10

GKO: PODCAST #24

This week we interview with artist Lee Garbett to talk about his current run on Batgirl
01-03-10

NOW AVAILABLE THROUGH iTUNES. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE