Welcome to Batman: Gotham Knights Online, your number #1 resource for all things Batman. Every week, keep up to date with all the current news surrounding the comic books, media, merchandise and listen to our weekly podcast, where we have exclusive interviews with people from the industry and a look at all things Batman past, present and future...

GKO: MADHOUSE

Here you will find our rambalings on all area's of Batman, interviews and speical features!

JL: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS REVIEW

We review Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

BATMAN OF ZUR-EN-ARRH

We take a look at the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh from Batman #113.

GREG RUCKA INTERVIEW

Gotham Knights Online - Interview with Greg Rucka.

BTS: MUSIC MEISTER

A behind the scenens look at The Music Meister.

REVIEW: SB: PE

We review Superman / Batman: Public Enemies.

J.H. WILLIAMS III INTERVIEW

Gotham Knights Online - Interview with J.H. Wiilams III

REVIEW - BATMAN: AA

We review the most eagarly anticipated game this year!

BATMAN CRIME JAZZ

Composers talk crime jazz for Batman

CBR Talks to Tony Daniel

Posted by Cory Monday 23 August 2010

CBR with their Bat-Signal segment talks to Tony Daniel:


CBR News: Tony, you've obviously gone through a number of different gigs and have gotten to stretch a lot of muscles in your time at DC, but I can't be the only one who's seen that from "Battle For The Cowl" through to this new run, writing as well as drawing in the Bat-universe has given you a chance to really grow as a creator. Do you feel a significant difference in how you're working on the title now from how you approached that first big event?


Tony Daniel: There is a significant difference, I think mainly from just pushing myself to be better and better. I've always had the mentality to strive for what's out of my grasp with my art and also with my writing. For my art, it really is a matter of maturing as well as moving into a different direction in regards to what inspires me.




For my writing, I am happy with the overall reaction to what I've done so far, but I've learned a lot, especially from my “Life After Death” six part story. I think I'm stronger going into my next arc, having seen some of the pitfalls that can go into creating such a long storyline. With both art and writing, I feel you naturally get better the more you do it, as long as you're open to seeing where you need improvement.


I'm always interested in hearing writer/artists talk about their scripting style in general. How tight do you script for yourself, and did your general script choices change when working with Guillem March on issues #698 and 699? (CBR has the issue numbers as 898 and 899 i fixed it -cory)


I was already writing fairly detailed scripts for myself. Now is probably not the time for shortcuts, so I try to be fairly specific with panel-to-panel layouts as well as adding general dialogue that I tweak in the last stage. Guillem did a wonderful job, especially with his camera angles. My main struggle was coming up with something short that could wrap up in two issues due to Batman #700. Working with Guillem on those issues inspired me to take the next step in becoming a more complete cartoonist, by inking myself.


Recently, it seems your art has experimented in a few ways in terms of both the cartooning and the line work. In #701, your Batman and Superman reminded me of a mix of Frank Quitely and Art Adams, and as you said, you've been inking yourself lately. How much of this is a natural growth in your style versus changes you've made while Sandu was off for a spell?


During the two-issue Riddler arc that Guillem illustrated, I fell ill and needed heavy doses of steroids and other drugs. I wasn't able to hold my pencil tightly and my hand shook. I was a little scared that this was going to be permanent. As I got better, I still wasn't ready to draw anything yet, but I instead pulled out the inking supplies I never use and started just playing around. Quills and brush work always felt cumbersome and uncooperative in my hands for a long as I can remember. But somehow, now, they felt natural in my hands. For the first time, I felt confident with the quill and even more so now, the brush.


During my short break and illness, I knew that I wanted to return to "Batman" with something fresh. Something a bit more exaggerated and less reliant on the rules that go along with a more realistic style. I felt the time was right to have a little more fun with the style during Grant's two-part "R.I.P." story. I could try some things out and not be committed to the style through a long arc. Once I decide on a style, well, I'm stuck with it until the arc ends.


Right now, I'm taking what I liked from those two issues and punching it up and polishing it to begin my next arc. I'm pretty happy with the new art direction, much of which I'm able to achieve with the inking techniques I've been honing. I've become a pretty big fan of older generation comic strip artists from the '40s, '50s and '60s – guys names you don't hear often but were masters in their time.


I'm trying with my new work to bring that kind of made-for-black-and-white print sensibility to my work. So it looks like you can print it in black and white and not need color to get the mood. It's really a new aspect of my art that I'm incredibly excited about. I can't wait to lay my pencils down in the morning and get to what really breathes life into the art. The inks!


Check out the entire interview here.

LISTEN TO THIS WEEKS PODCAST ONLINE COVERING NEWS, REVIEWS AND INTERVIEWS WITH GUESTS FROM ALL BATMAN INDUSTRIES!



GKO: PODCAST #43

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. 4th to 17th Oct, including Batman: Knightfall Pt11.
23-10-10

GKO: PODCAST #42

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. 20th Sept to 3rd Oct, including Batman: Knightfall Pt10.
09-10-10

GKO: PODCAST #41

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. 13th to Sept 20th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt9.
14-09-10

GKO: PODCAST #40

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 30th to Sept 12th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt8.
14-09-10

GKO: PODCAST #39

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 23rd to Aug 29th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt7.
31-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #38

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 9th to Aug 22nd, including Batman: Knightfall Pt6.
24-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #37

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. Aug 2nd to Aug 8th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt5.
03-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #36

This week we have a new host and review Batman: Under the Red Hood along with all the news from the week.
03-08-10

GKO: PODCAST #35

This is our SDCC '10 coverage special covering all the news from July 19th to July 25th.
26-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #34

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. July 12th to July 18th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt2.
19-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #33

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. July 5th to July 11th, including Batman: Knightfall Pt1.
12-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #32

This week we interview writer Judd Winick about the Red Hood.
05-07-10

GKO: PODCAST #31

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. June 14th to June 20th.
21-06-10

GKO: PODCAST #30

This week we cover the amazing release of Batman #700. June 7th to June 13th.
14-06-10

GKO: PODCAST #29

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. May 31st to June 6th.
7-06-10

GKO: PODCAST #28

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. May 24th to May 30th.
31-05-10

GKO: PODCAST #27

This week we cover the usual news in the Batman Universe. May 10th to May 23rd.
24-05-10

GKO: PODCAST #26

We return for a quick April round table episode.
10-05-10

GKO: PODCAST #25

This week is our 25th Anniversary episode including a new co-host.
21-03-10

GKO: PODCAST #24

This week we interview with artist Lee Garbett to talk about his current run on Batgirl
01-03-10

NOW AVAILABLE THROUGH iTUNES. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE